ideal defrag method for my hard drives?

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Antworten
evan900

ideal defrag method for my hard drives?

Beitrag von evan900 » Do 10. Nov 2016, 04:36

I wanted to say first, thanks OO for the best defrag around :)

I at times get confused on what defrag methods to use. I know some tips are at:
https://docs.oo-software.com/en/oodefra ... on-methods

However, I still get a bit confused, and worried if I use the wrong defrag method.
Which would be preferred for a data drive? It has many files, about 100k, almost every file is on that drive.
Should I not use zones for that drive? Stick with Complete/name, then SPACE for monthly defrags?

How about my main drive? It has the OS on it, with my programs, thats about all it has.
Should I use zone defrag on that drive?

Thanks as always OO!

Martin (O&O)
Re: ideal defrag method for my hard drives?

Beitrag von Martin (O&O) » Do 10. Nov 2016, 08:42

Hello,

there is no such thing like "wrong defrag method". Of course the "best" method depends on the usage of your computer. Personally I would recommend COMPLETE/Name for the system volume and SPACE for the data volumes.

Martin (O&O)

evan900

Beitrag von evan900 » Fr 11. Nov 2016, 07:20

Thanks Martin, you actually helped me a lot over the years :)

When you say system volumes, you mean the HDD with the OS on it? I keep the OS on a HDD with some music files, and my programs. Thats really about all I use that one HDD for. So system, or OS volumes, COMPLETE/Name?

And my big HDD with many files, videos, photos, music, etc. SPACE is good there.

I also have a HDD with my games only on it, I suppose that too is data volume, so COMPLETE/Name then just monthly SPACE defrag for this HDD?

Thanks Martin again :)

Martin (O&O)

Beitrag von Martin (O&O) » Fr 11. Nov 2016, 09:46

Hello,

thank you for your feedback. For system volumes, where the Windows System is running on, the COMPLETE/Name method is the best option.
For data volume the SPACE method.

If you have a "Games only" hard drive, most cutomers prefer Complete/Name for such drives, but SPACE would be also a good option.

Martin (O&O)

Antworten