Version 20 Build 457 Delays

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Gesperrt
dryst

Version 20 Build 457 Delays

Beitrag von dryst » Mo 5. Dez 2016, 12:24

Hello. I am an older user of O&O Defrag who recently upgraded to the latest version of 20. I have been attempting to execute a COMPLETE/Access defragmentation of my C: drive. The defrag starts off perfectly and is very fast. However, it will eventually slow to a crawl. It is executing right now after I had started it yesterday (approximately twenty hours of straight defrag time). It shows at 11% complete, and it was at 8% complete before I slept for the night. Older versions never did anything like this, so I wanted to get feedback on what I am seeing.

What is currently happening is that the tool is spending 100% of a CPU core with little to no disk activity as shown by Windows Task Manager. This is O&O's defrag process spending this CPU time, but I am not sure at all what it is doing. My general experience with the latest tool is that it will often spend a lot of CPU time as opposed to disk activity time during processing. I am seeing that the process will use 100% of a single CPU core for about four to five minutes while processing the following:

C:\Windows\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\B2ACCF99DF1FE66E3E9BAA75BFFBE266\9.59.29989\fil6701c3..................

It will show the current file/folder as that stuck at 100% of a single CPU core being used. In about four or five minutes, it will then show a new file and the 100% CPU usage moves to a new core. This is the worst of the slowness I have ever experienced, but there are other similar experiences in the total defragmentation I have attempted. I have not yet allowed it to finish, because it has simply been taking too long. Now is currently the longest I have ever allowed it to run. This is also the longest delay I have ever experienced.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I am now experiencing? I have versions of O&O Defrag of 12 and 14 still on my network storage where I never saw anything like this. The estimated remaining time currently shows as 1 Day, 16:49:05. However, this time is not accurate, of course. I really have no idea how long this defrag will take.

dryst

Re: Version 20 Build 457 Delays

Beitrag von dryst » Di 6. Dez 2016, 11:46

I stopped the defrag yesterday. The highest it reached for completion was 11%.

I will rely on the tool's auto defragmentation and not execute defrags on demand again.

dryst

Beitrag von dryst » Di 20. Dez 2016, 08:47

UPDATE: it appears that I am also having issues with automatic defragmentation. I have experienced about two or three similar scenarios as I previously described where O&O defrag appears hanging using CPU without any disk activity. At the moment it has been executing for over one hour performing an automatic thorough defragmentation. The disk activity light of my hard drives is not lit, but O&O defrag has been stuck at a status of 2% completion since I initially observed this behavior.

dryst

Beitrag von dryst » Mi 21. Dez 2016, 13:27

I have tested out a newer version of 20 that appears to have resolved the pegged CPU core issue I noted above. It has been performing a complete defrag on my file system for over 24 hours and has reached 16% completion. This is the farthest that a version 20 build has defragmented my hard drives. Version 20.0.463 has resolved this issue for me.

Thank you.

Brigitte (O&O)

Beitrag von Brigitte (O&O) » Mi 21. Dez 2016, 13:35

Because there has been a support ticket at the same time this thread is closed now.
Brigitte (O&O)

Gesperrt