Cannot boot after successful image restoration

Professional / Workstation / Server Edition
Antworten
misho_g

Cannot boot after successful image restoration

Beitrag von misho_g » Di 7. Mär 2017, 07:47

Dear Support/forum members,

I have two more outstanding tickets, but things evolved, so I decided to provide you with a detailed update of my issue and see whether other peple have experienced this issue and what was the solution. I am a bit desperate, as I have to finish some work and I critically depend on being able to resore my PC.

Here’s the chronology of my problem.

I have a Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates. I created the “one-click” entire PC ( one SSD 480G drive) image using the O&O Diskimage 11 (build 140) and saved it on an external USB hard drive. At the end, O&O DI 11 reported that it created the image successfully. I do remember, however, a pop-up saying that it had to create one partition “forensically”, or something like this. I did not pay attention to this at the time, so I do not have a snapshot of it.

I also created a boot DVD with the O&O DI 11 tool. I also verified the image using the tool and it reported no warnings. I can also mount the image and access all the files.

I then attempted to restore the image from the USB hard drive where the image was saved to the original SSD using the boot DVD. I got the following error:

“An invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.” I tried a few more times but it didn’t work, including restoring not to the original SSD but to another 3TB hard drive (attached via a USB hard drive dock).

Since then, I decided to reinstall Windows 10 on the original SSD and reinstalled the O&O DI 11. Then, I used O&O DI 11 in Windows (not the boot DVD) and I successfully restored the image to the 3TB hard drive. This time, I attached the 3 TB hard drive internally in the PC.

So it seemed I managed to overcome the initial error. However, when I tried to boot from the 3TB drive, I got the following blue screed below:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgpftf56FEtLGBp4g

When I compared the image with the 3TB drive, they seemed exactly the same, it just won’t boot.

Then, I decided that there was something wrong with the 3 TB drive so I got a brand new 1TB SSD. I made it an internal drive in the PC and again successfully restored the image using the O&O DI 11 in Windows (not the boot DVD).

Then, I tried to boot from the 1TB SSD, but I gain got the blue screen above.

So far, it seems that there is a problem with the booting. I used the default settings when I created the “entire PC image” and there was nothing on creating a bootable image (I suppose if one creates an entire PC image, it would be bootable by default).

As a final step, I removed the Windows 10 hard drive and booted using the O&O boot DVD started restoring again the image (from an external USB hard drive) onto the 1TB SSD.

Below, I am sending you the step-by-step screenshots of the process. It is still running as I am writing this, but I expect it ill not boot either, for some reason. You will see that the 1 TB SSD (right-hand side) has the same partitions as the image. This is coming from the previous restore I attempted. There was a menu later to “delete” the content or “attach” the image – I chose “delete”.

Below are the steps:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgtUi3_Cyiz4frrAQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgqLQDywxIm-xPEpg

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgrCNNxO1wYLTDqow

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgvnhJB2MicRfsoRw

I also did a search on the internet and the only similar situation was described in you forum from the link below:

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... ot+booting

Specifically, the user “superfantastic” had the same problem and in the discussion, it was mentioned by Alex (from O&O) about a question which appears before restoration :

"The source drive 'your drive' was bootable. Would you also like to make the target drive bootable?"

Same as me, he did not get this question, but following a picture Alex (from O&O) posted (it is not available in the discussion anymore), the user “superfantastic” said that he "....got it to work !! i noticed on your screen shot that you ONLY tick the disk0 basic as source in the image file i was ticking both the system reserved and the c:\ drive in my source image if you do it your way i get the questions about bootable, if you tick ..."

It is not very clear to me what was the picture and the solution, but I thought it is good to mention it to you. I will try to contact “superfantastic” myself to see what he can say as it seems he is an active user.

I hope the O&O support and the fellow users to help me in this.

Cheers,

superfantastic

Re: Cannot boot after successful image restoration

Beitrag von superfantastic » Di 7. Mär 2017, 08:33

yes i did find that you have to tick only the drive and not the partitions to get it to restore and give you the option to be bootable

the blue screen you are getting is it a STOP 7B ? and is it to the same hardware as the original image ?

misho_g

Re: Cannot boot after successful image restoration

Beitrag von misho_g » Di 7. Mär 2017, 09:01

superfantastic hat geschrieben:yes i did find that you have to tick only the drive and not the partitions to get it to restore and give you the option to be bootable

the blue screen you are getting is it a STOP 7B ? and is it to the same hardware as the original image ?
It is the same hardware, except for the new hard drive. I am not sure whether this matters. As far ticking only the drive, not the partitions, do you mean the drive in the source/image? If I tick the drive, the partitions are automatically ticked and I cannot "untick" them. In the target, it is the drive that is only ticked - see here: https://1drv.ms/i/s!AvkDlgVywHZ2hLgtUi3_Cyiz4frrAQ. Is this what it is supposed to be?

The blue screen gives "Recovery. Your PX/device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc000000f." I am not sure what you mean by STOP 7B...

Do you think it is possible that I have created a non-bootable image when I still did the "one click-all-PC" IMAGE? Do you happen to know whether a boot partition can be added to the target or the original image?

Sorry, a lot of questions, but I am desperate.It was supposed to be very easy and intuitive...

Sorry, I am in Canada and it is 3:00 am and I need to go to bed, but I will check tomorrow whether there are any developments (I launched a new restore process).

Thanks for your prompt reply!!!

Antworten